The Parent Leadership Training Institute (PLTI) seeks to enable parents to become leading advocates for children.
The cornerstones of the initiative are: respect, validation, and the belief that when the tools of democracy are understood, the public will actively engage in civic life.
We believe that parents are their children’s first and most important teachers. They are also great advocates for children in society. Parents can speak out on issues and inform policy makers, the media and other parents about the needs of our children.
2015 marks our 3rd year of the Woonsocket Parent Leadership Training Institute. The 3rd round of classes will begin January 2015. This initiative will offer in-depth leadership training to 25 parents, guardians, grandparents and community members who care for and love children.
PLTI offers a stimulating program, to boost parents’ leadership skills to address issues of concerns such as: accessible child and health services, quality and accountability in education, neighborhood safety and an abundance of other systems. Parent leaders will learn to become a strong voice for the next generation.
PLTI In The Press
- Retreat: Creating a Caring Community for Children
- Session 1: Thriving with Diversity
- Session 2: The Change Process
- Session 3: Parents as Change Agents
- Session 4: Define a Problem and Work Toward a Solution
- Session 5: The Intentional Use of Language
- Session 6: Learning How the Community
- Session 7: How Local Systems Work and How to Interact with Them
- Session 8: Networks
- Session 9: The Power of the Media and How to Use It
- Session 10: Using Your Voice
- Session 11: Life Cycle of the Child & Functions of the Family
- Session 12: The Social & Economic Trends Affecting Children and Families
- Session 13: What is Public Policy and How Do We Understand the Law?
- Session 14: How State Government Works
- Session 15: How Local Government Works
- Session 16: How Do we Understand Law
- Session 17: Budgets –From Wallets to State – It’s all Money and Priorities
- Session 18: Evaluation, Outcomes and Accountability
- Session 19: The Magic of the Unexpected: Forming New Alliances
- Session 20: Language: Packaging & Moving Agendas
Classes are free and Dinner and Childcare are provided at every session!